God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.


Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Compost Leaves. Composting really works. Make your own compost bins.


We used to collect all the leaves and put them in bags and leave it on the curb for pickup. We used to have some times 70 bags in one day. I know the leaves got recycled but do not know what happened to the bags. There are lot trees in our neighborhood and we get plenty of leaves.  Filling the bags with leaves was enormous task. 

We tried to mulch the leaves in the grass.  There were so many leaves that it will cover the whole grass with thick layer and kill the grass.  We started composting 2 years back and as We are learning and it is getting better.   We want to share the experience with others.  It is fun and gives you lot of satisfaction. First I looked at the composter on line and they were expensive.  One on Amazon was selling for $300.  If you can afford it go ahead and buy it.


I had some left over fence.  I made two bins out of it.  I put it next to a tree for support.  The one on the right was totally done last month and I spread the compost in the garden.  The left one is in progress.  We have been getting lot of rain recently so I covered up the bins.  Rain is also hampering my leaf collection venture as it is soggy and wet outside.

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown

You want your compost to be moist but not soggy.  Compost also does not work if it is dry.  Then it just sits there.  Keep it moist till it is done.  I checked it yesterday it was warm and turned it.  This weekend plan to mulch leaves and put them  in the right had side bin.  It is always helpful to mulch the leaves.  I use my garden tractor with bags.  I have also used the lawn mower to mulch the leaves.  Collect all the leaves in one space and run your  mulching mower over them.  Mulching reduces volume of the leaves so that you can put more leaves in the compost bin.  It also helps the composting process.  Add some greens also.  I usually get grass clippings along with the leaves.  There are lot of things you can add to compost.  Do not add meat.

Home made compost bins.



You can try some sturdy plastic fence to make your bin.  Support your bin properly.


















No comments: